Soft laser therapy (also known as cold laser therapy and laser biostimulation) is a cutting edge medical technique in which exposure to infrared laser light is used to elicit beneficial clinical effects. The Food and Drug Administration granted approval to market several infrared lasers "for temporary relief of minor muscle and joint pain, arthritis, muscle spasm, relieving stiffness and promoting relaxation of muscle tissue."
Based on the power of generated energy, all lasers are divided into several classes from the least powerful class 1 to the most powerful class 4. Our clinic possesses several powerful therapeutic class 3B and class 4 lasers emitting both pulsed and continuous monochromatic light.
Laboratory studies suggest that infrared lasers stimulate collagen production, modify DNA synthesis, and normalize the function of damaged neurological tissue. Several mechanisms underlying therapeutic effects with low level laser therapy have been suggested.
• Increased ATP production by the mitochondria and increased oxygen consumption on the cellular level, which may result in muscle relaxation
• Increased serotonin and increased endorphins
• Increased anti-inflammatory effects through reduced prostaglandin synthesis
• Improved blood circulation to the skin in cases such as neuralgia and diabetes mellitus
• Decreases permeability of the membrane of the nerve cells for Na/K causing hyperpolarisation
• Increased lymphatic flow and decreased edema
Institute for Specialized Medicine utilizes acupuncture and soft lasers almost exclusively for regional musculoskeletal conditions such as:
• Cervicalgia / neck pain
• Low back pain
• Pelvic pain
• Rotator cuff syndrome
• Tennis and golfers elbows
• Carpal tunnel syndrome
• deQuervain tenosynovitis
• Hip osteoarthritis
• Knee osteoarthritis
• Patellar and quadriceps tendonitis
• Ankle and foot pain
• Achilles tendonitis
• Plantar fasciitis
• Tarsal tunnel syndrome
• Muscle spasms
Our advanced protocols combine acupuncture, auricular therapy, soft laser therapy and soft tissue and joint injections to optimize the outcome of therapy for chronic musculoskeletal diseases.
Acupuncture and soft laser therapy may take place over a period of several weeks or more before achieving desirable results.
To find more information about soft laser therapy at IFSMED, call us at (858) 794-9192 or send us an e-mail at email@example.com